Sunday, September 30, 2012

Lokrum Story Concepts: Ravenous Red Cap Details

A sort of final design for the Red Caps, and unlike my imps who haven't gotten a revamped painting yet, I will give details on its backstory. Tradiationally they are a vague "faerie" mythical creature resembling a brutish old man with red eyes and a red cap soaked with blood from the many they kill on sight to preserve their immortality. That illustrates the challenge I had in toning that down and fitting it into my omnibus of creatures native to my fictional island. The imps and other species emulate their specific appearances by utilizing the surrounding flora as part of their bodies, so I tried putting that into the red caps too, who are more consumption based than symbiotic with the plants. As walking fireplaces, they need to eat organic material constantly to stay alive, but over-consumption literally lights them on fire, destroying everything around them and often times reduces them to ash as well. Its an existence based on control and relatively uneasy relationships with the other (very flammable) natives who fear the red caps.


 Based on charred wood, chimneys, and devils on its appearance. Not finalized.
 The Red Caps tradiitonally were found in abandoned castles, but I may need something more suiting for my ashen giants, so far from finalized. ...It was still fun to paint more thickly in my moleskine though.
Alright next concepts will be more final looks for my imps.

No comments:

Post a Comment